Pages

16 April 2007

DAY 47: Horton in Ribblesdale to Hawes

Today: 14.0 miles
Total so far: 680.1 miles
Percentage Completed: 40.7%

LEJOG DAY 47

(Click map to enlarge)

Not a bad day at all. If every day is like this it will be a doddle. I walk it with Rick Smith.

(This is Rick Smith - superstar)

He has a dodgy foot and is trying different sock combinations, but even with his dodgy foot he is a country mile ahead of me as I am still tying my laces. We stroll (at my pace) up the hills into moorland in the mist and the serenity of the place is absolute. We meet D of E groups all having a good time and luncheon at a spot with good views and dramatic cloudscapes. The Ribblehead viaduct is viewed floating in the distance.

As we leave Ten End the way is grassy and little springs bubble at the side of the path. All around the dry-stone walls and field barns make up the patchwork of the landscape, with Great Shunner fell dominating in the distance.

We try a couple of the Black Sheep ales in the pub and write the postcards, which is tricky after the first (Riggwelter, at something like 6%) but easier after the second at a piffling 3.8% as Lindsey joins us to transport us back to paradise at Austwick.

Baths are drawn, wives telephoned and dinners demolished. The washing machine is again working overtime. R & L have been fabulous hosts and Lindsey especially - for going above and beyond and purchasing a tub of vaseline for a chap's delicate little places.

They will drop me off back at Hawes tomorrow morning so I will head off into the great unknown: More of 'The North.' But for now, I will do my level best to help the excellent Rick in his endeavours to polish off the '66 port.

1 comment:

  1. Check it out Uncle alan

    http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/

    double click to start your points etc - have fun playing with this toy :)

    ReplyDelete

Hi.
Because of spammers, I moderate all comments, so don't worry if your comment seems to have disappeared; It has been sent to me for approval. As soon as I see it, I'll deal with it straight away.
Thank you!