Pages

11 June 2007

DAY 101 Kinlochewe to Strath na Sealga

Saturday 9th June 2007
(Posted from Oykel Bridge)
Today: 15.5 miles
Total so far: 1444.8 miles
Percentage Completed: 86.5%

LEJOG DAY 101

(Click map to enlarge)

I leave the B&B at a reasonable hour and raid the Post Office for cash, as its a precious commodity around here - there are no banks.

 

Above the Heights of Kinlochewe

I am soon ambling up to the Heights of Kinlochewe and making steady progress in the very hot sunshine. Not a breath of air and the midges are about. The walk up to Lochan Fhada is exquisite with views opening up all the time of Letterewe and its magnificent hills: Beinn Tarsuinn and Mullach Coire Mhic Fhearchair dominate magnificently and I snap away all morning.

Letterewe

More Letterewe

Then the hard work starts. It's trackless heather bashing all the way up and over to the Lochan and then over to Bealach na Croise with the added fun of good old peat bogs. The river from Coire Mhic Fhearchair is crossed, thanking my lucky stars it isn't in spate as it would be a right swine with banks of slippery gneiss and big water slides with big drops.
 
Mountain Views

There is an old stalkers path on the western side of the burn down to Loch an Nid, so I decide to follow it. It has had no work for years and it comes and goes pleasantly enough and I follow it to the Loch as the rivers are pretty empty (but don't follow this if they are in spate as you will have a big crossing to do!)

Rest Stop

I had planned to stop at the Loch but it is still early so I saunter slowly for another 5km taking in the magnificent views of An Teallach.
 

Loch an Nid & An Teallach

I am quite tired after all the rough stuff, so flip Wanda up and doze for a couple of hours in the sunshine and midges before having some pitta bread and sardines and cheese for supper washed down with hairy lemons.

Wanda - Strath na Sealga



A good day and tomorrow should now be easier too, as it was going to be quite a big day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi.
Because of spammers, I moderate all comments, so don't worry if your comment seems to have disappeared; It has been sent to me for approval. As soon as I see it, I'll deal with it straight away.
Thank you!