Pages

22 December 2006

SLIPPING INTO CHRISTMAS

A few years back the children were on a month’s tour of Europe. We received a postcard. It said that they were staying for a couple of days on a houseboat in Amsterdam. They knew they wanted chocolate. They knew where they could buy some chocolate. It was just that their knees weren’t working anymore.

Today, I know how they must have felt.

We had Wilko & Biggles over to stay last night – two old friends from school. Over dinner they came up with a plan for my walk. They know I have the memory of a goldfish and I do remember them plotting to pick me up somewhere near Bath, get me slaughtered and deposit me somewhere a hundred miles or so further back down the walk. They reckon I would not remember that I had done that bit of the walk already and would therefore have double the enjoyment by doing it twice.

I declined their kind offer of assistance and we proceeded to make inroads into the wine lake purchased for Christmas. Lynnie very nobly came downstairs around 4:30 in the morning to point out that our taste in music had not changed since we were at school. She is thoughtful like that.

I shall now stroll over to St Ives to see if there is anything left in the shops that I have not bought yet.

I need to see if my knees really do work.

1 comment:

Hi.
Because of spammers, I moderate all comments, so don't worry if your comment seems to have disappeared; It has been sent to me for approval. As soon as I see it, I'll deal with it straight away.
Thank you!