Pages

08 April 2007

DAY 39 Edale to Crowden

Today: 16.9 miles
Total so far: 587.7
Percentage Completed: 35.2%

LEJOG DAY 39

(Click map to enlarge)

I am camped at Crowden Campsite - I couldn't be doing with all the fuss of trying to book youth hostels - they never answer the phone or they are all full.

It is Easter Holiday and the place is packed with exuberant kids (and parents) but I am two pints down and have rung all the potential walkers for the next few days so all jobs are done!

Today's walk has probably been done by you all, but it was a first for me - once the slog of getting to the top of Kinder is over (with a full rucksack) it is really plain sailing, but it does get a bit lengthy towards the end, dropping down Torside Clough.

Really lucky with the weather again - fine but a bit misty to start with and then a sharp wind to keep you moving.

I stopped for lunch just past Doctors Gate and got down out of the wind and had an interesting chat with a Lancastrian gent in his elder years, who in his time had just about done the lot. His last Big One was the Tour de Mont Blanc with his friend, but in his best years had done the winter gullies on the Ben. Sadly he thought that those days were now long gone and he is going to miss them. But this chap has such memories - and they will always be with him and his friends. He will never have to sit back and think "If only..."

I left him feeling I had met someone special.

No sooner had I got going when I bumped into Viv Pike with her brother, in training for the 100 miles bash in Wales (which is just two days before her TGO Challenge; very brave!)

A splendid day. The tent is now disciplined. Everything has at last found its place. All is well with the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi.
Because of spammers, I moderate all comments, so don't worry if your comment seems to have disappeared; It has been sent to me for approval. As soon as I see it, I'll deal with it straight away.
Thank you!