Pages

09 April 2007

DAY 40: Crowden to Bleak Hey Nook

Today: 12.4 miles
Total so far: 600.1 miles
Percentage Completed: 35.9%

LEJOG DAY 40

(Click map to enlarge)

I woke up to drizzle on the Wendy House; so had stewed apple and custard for breakfast to cheer me up. The hills were shrouded in cloud so I plugged away up to Laddow Rocks on the pretty dreadful rubbly path and made it to the top pretty breathless. I wonder when this fitness thing will kick in?

The guide promises wonderful views, but the cloud and wind means hats and hoods on and peering through the gap into the murk; Probably as well as I think the drops down to the right are formidable and I don't have a great head for heights. Then out of the clouds appear Richard Smith & Dave Beaumont coming from the north.

They have woken up at some ungodly hour and walked south to meet up with me. Wonderful chaps!

We scuttle along and in no time at all we are on top of Black Hill and in what seems like moments later we are at Snoopy’s snack caravan at Wessenden Head where I gobble up a bacon sandwich and two cups of coffee sitting on a chair! (albeit in the wind & rain)

We set off once more and are soon in a deep gulley where Richard produces two bottles of Timothy Taylor Landlord and two glasses! A super drop and we go our separate ways, me up another hill into the murk and Richard and Dave back to their warm fires and armchairs.

However, the struggle is soon over and I am welcomed into a splendid B&B (Wellcroft House) with tea and cakes and a lovely chat about the Pennine Way, which they did quite a few years ago. Lovely people.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Alan,

    did you feel fit on your TGOC's ? Or is that a totally different league ?
    On wednesday you'll be hitting the 1000km mark. Congratulations !

    Theo
    www.theosphotos.fotopic.net

    ReplyDelete

Hi.
Because of spammers, I moderate all comments, so don't worry if your comment seems to have disappeared; It has been sent to me for approval. As soon as I see it, I'll deal with it straight away.
Thank you!