Pages

10 April 2007

DAY 41: Bleak Hey Nook to Hebden Bridge: Evening Report

Today: 16.4 miles
Total so far: 616.5 miles
Percentage Completed: 36.9%

LEJOG DAY 41

(Click map to enlarge)

The afternoon's walk along the reservoirs is quite splendid and with Tony's farewell bidding of "Tight Laces," I whizz along until the Timothy Taylors forces a premature stop. Stoodley Pike beckons in the distance but never seems to get any closer and when I finally make it to the base of the monument the wind is so fierce it actually knocks me over - twice.

I beetle away and head the very long way down to the town to sit on the bench and take the place in. Its an absorption process; the longer I sit there the more I enjoy the place. I reckon if I sit here all day I will be more Hebden Bridge than Alan Sloman, and tourists will flock to my boots and buy postcards of my new beardy stuff. Coach companies will start including me on their itineraries.

I try an Italian for supper with a carafe of red, to make a change from the barrels of beer consumed so far on the trip. The Italian is run by Poles, with a Thai waitress, eastern European chef and a few Italians to help out. Regardless of all that, its a smashing place and highly recommended.

2 comments:

  1. Glad to see the culinary and alcohol components of the walk are subject to a bit of healthy diversification. Keep up with the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alan still going strong and a brill way to get a bit of beer research done.I know all the family is well proud of ya,A T B Jon

    ReplyDelete

Hi.
Because of spammers, I moderate all comments, so don't worry if your comment seems to have disappeared; It has been sent to me for approval. As soon as I see it, I'll deal with it straight away.
Thank you!