Pages

27 June 2008

Walking in Gordon Brown's shoes.

Yes. The newspapers are full of the story. It's been a year.

So what has been achieved in that time?

Plunging into work brought some early success, but after a while his mind started to hanker back to the good times; when he had been master of his own destiny. He had only had the one responsibility - and managing that on a day to day basis brought huge apparent success. He had made new friends across the world from his toils, old friends had been supportive and he was at peace. Now his time is spent watching others succeed in their endeavours, now even in Europe.

I suppose the summer recess is coming along. What will he do with it? Will he spend it doing something refreshing, something to take his mind off his current problems?

Well in all the time Gordon Brown has been in power (or, at least notionally in power) Gordon and me seem to have been travelling similar paths.

It is a year today that I finished my Land's End to John O 'Groats walk. There was a bit of a party at the end with some lovely people that turned up out of the blue to celebrate with me. I suppose Gordon must have had a bit of a knees up too - he had waited ten years for it, after all said and done.

My year has been spent steadily building my business, out of the public gaze, quietly getting on with it. It looks like it should go well. Gordon's has been spent in the full glare of the public eye.

Unlike Gordon, I look back with huge fondness and can build on what I learned from it; what I learned about myself and about others. My plans for the future are in my own hands, whereas Gordon's are horribly intertwined with international events and decisions totally out of his control.

I look at Gayle & Mick and Martin & Sue with huge envy, but gain pleasure from their joyful accounts that they publish on their blogs. Gordon spends his time worrying about Mugabe and Bush.

Well, I wish Gordon all the best for his next two years and hope he has a little more success - it's important to us all that he makes a fist of it after all!

1 comment:

  1. Well said yound man! You are a greater man than even I thought you were, and that's saying something!!

    Derek

    ReplyDelete

Hi.
Because of spammers, I moderate all comments, so don't worry if your comment seems to have disappeared; It has been sent to me for approval. As soon as I see it, I'll deal with it straight away.
Thank you!