Big Darren visited yesterday and upon entering the kitchen and seeing the table covered in backpacking food asked where I was planning to go.
You see, the thing is, this was just the food I had brought back from my adventures on the Southern Uplands last weekend... I had wondered why my pack was so heavy, at 30lbs. I had put it down to the extra coats I had taken for the cold weather (and I have to say I really was glad of them all as I do feel the cold!). But in reality it was carrying too much food.
I brought back home:
- 6 Granola Bars (282g)
- 2 x 100g bars of 'Hotel Chocolat' scrummy chocolate
MarathonSnickers bars (290g)
- 72g of orange fizzy drink tablets in their container
- 1 x mightily large double-decker cheese and tomato roll (265g)
- 1 x 46g bag of expensive crisps (Pipers - yum)
- 1 x 78g pack of custard
- 1 x 182g Real Turmat meal
- 4 x packets of "Butter Buds" (hardly anything)
- 140g of sugar & coffee
- 93g of hot chocolate
- 95g of tuna
- 257g of honey roasted cashews
- 85g of cuppa-soups
- 170g of whisky(not including the flask)
That's a whopping 2255g or five whole proper pounds!
So, okay, we cut the walk short by a dinner and breakfast (taken at the Tibbie Shiel's Inn and a lunch not eaten. That would take care of 1 Real Turmat (182g), I cuppa-soup (29g), I custard (78g) [that's dinner] and 2 Granola bars (95g) and a few grams of coffee & sugar and orange tablet (20g?);[breakfast] and the cheese roll (265g) and 1 granola bar (48g) and I Marathon ((59g); [lunch]. That would have cut it down by 776g.
That still means I was carrying 1450g or 3lbs 3 ozs in real money too much grub!
I could have been carrying just 27lbs on setting out with two and a half days food and electric water for a winter trip.
I must do a menu plan for my next trip...