Pages

31 October 2006

THE DARKNESS...
With the hour just changing I was wondering just how much daylight I will have at the start of the walk in Cornwall, so I nipped over to a favourite site: The US Naval Observatory, Astronomical Applications Department http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/RS_OneYear.html

This site is not as scary as the address sounds and is in fact very user-friendly. You can plug in the latitude & longitude of anywhere in the world and get the sunrise and sunset information for the whole year of your choice - all for free! (Ooh - I like the 'free' bit).

I have found that at the beginning of March I will have 10 hours & 57 minutes of daylight - and of course this means thirteen hours of night-time) That, coupled with the blustery weather at the start of March, will probably mean quite a few hours investigating the Good Beer Guide's recommendations in the warm, dry and brightly lit interior of the pub.

At the other end, at far off Duncansby Head, I will have 18 hours & 18 minutes of daylight. Just perfect to sit outside the pub with a nice pint, admiring the soft evening sunlight.

2 comments:

  1. I very much like the idea of joining you for a spot of a wander and a cold beverage either indoors or outdoors...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, Oliver - My first son & heir - who will in all likelihood inherit all my ailments - Gout is a bit of a bugger, Oli.

    All that drinking will be bad for you... I suggest that I shall do the drinking for you, and you can do the paying - that way you will have a clear head in the morning and have less wight (change) to carry on the next day's walk.

    When I have the route sorted into days, I will publish it all on here, so that anyone who might like to join me for a day or so can work out when they can join me and where they will be walking.
    There will be more on the blog about this later on.

    ReplyDelete

Hi.
Because of spammers, I moderate all comments, so don't worry if your comment seems to have disappeared; It has been sent to me for approval. As soon as I see it, I'll deal with it straight away.
Thank you!