Pages

07 March 2007

DAY 7: Indian Queens to St Breward

DAY 7: PM
INDIAN QUEENS to ST BREWARD
Today: 21.2 miles
Total Mileage: 101.9 miles
Percentage Completed: 6.1%

LEJOG DAY 7

(Click map to enlarge)

Well, if Cornwall put on it's little black dress for me yesterday, today it had a few glasses of champagne and dragged me upstairs! What a fabulous day - largely because of this afternoon's walk along the Camel Trail.

Today, I got rid of the legs and replaced them with cast iron wheels. I was the Sir Nigel Gresley, the Duchess of Montrose, steaming up the Camel Trail, whistling & hooting as I rumbled up the track. I shall discard the Nikwax and employ a wheel tapper.

This was the railway that took day-trippers to the last public hanging in Britain. It's a beauty. I sat on beautifully designed little path-side chairs and watched as buzzards soared and mewed overhead, as the river slewed over the weirs. For the first time I could smell fresh woodland earth rather than cow manure (It has to be said, at this time of year, Cornwall does smell of shit!)

The sting in the tail was the last few miles up to St Breward - they seemed like climbing the Eiger. But well worth it for a cracking B&B (thanks to Mark Moxon) and a lovely pub - two pints of Sharps Doom Bar so far...

Tomorrow's an even bigger day: Steady Now!

2 comments:

  1. I say this full respect, this blog should be renamed, South to North The Great Pub Crawl. Good luck. KB

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, so you we're at the Tarny B&B? Great views, eh! And very friendly people (if they're the same ones who were there when I visited). Gor' bless British B&Bs. :-)

    Thoroughly enjoying the blog, Alan. I'm not jealous at all, oh no...

    Mark

    ReplyDelete

Hi.
Because of spammers, I moderate all comments, so don't worry if your comment seems to have disappeared; It has been sent to me for approval. As soon as I see it, I'll deal with it straight away.
Thank you!